Anji, Rhea's DW helper

Wonk and Rhea biweekly business meeting, Everett, Washington.

Rhea, how're things at Bestow?

Business is good at both the physical location and also the virtual extension of the store. But, I'm going a bit crazy.

What's up?

Ever since the president started that trade war, none of our suppliers in India and China want long term price commitments. In fact, if we weren't established customers that pay in H-Coin, I doubt the Chinese would even talk to us. To be honest, to keep inventory coming in, I have been having to reply on online auctions.

A great way to find new suppliers, replied Wonk, you told me that yourself You write personal notes and a review of each item as part of trying to find a reliable partner.

I did say those words and meant them, said Rhea, and when one or two shipments came in per day, it was easy to do. Now everyone is talking tradewar and protectionism, the shipments come in one per box, a dozen a day. Your friend, Traveler, would flip if he saw how much packing material is used to protect a single tiger's eye necklace. Look, see this trashbag! This is how much packaging came in just today. I put the bubble wrap aside for reuse, or recycle, but these shipping boxes wrapped with kilometers of tape, no way to reuse.

If Wonk has a jangly nerve, it is a bad business process and Rhea's observation was a direct hit. What a messy supply chain. No way to adapt our smart contracts, he thought to himself. How can that be possible, we can put a colony on Mars and can't manage shipping at home.

Rhea continued, our major suppliers all support H Coin and the desk manages currency fluctuations, but, this punitive duty stuff seems to change from day to day.  Maybe sanity will prevail.

In the mean time said Wonk, we are doing wel, better than I would have guessed. The vision you and Gloria put into place is working. Help men bestow a gift that will be treasured, appreciated, and worn. Don't think twice before you hire a helper.

Already have, Rhea groused good naturedly, Wonk please meet Anji.

Anji was not the kind of girl to get lost in a crowd. She have been a beautiful girl not so long ago, model material, she was still pleasing to the eye, curves in the right places, but now overshadowed by that hard party, kick against the goads aura. Groupie retired, or some such.

Anji held out her hand, so Wonk shook it. I'm thankful for this job she said. Not sure what I would have done . . . when Anji spoke it was if she was vibrating ever so slightly; it was disconcerting to watch.

Rhea, I'll take the deliveries to the drop off station, Angie said as she filled a large shopping bag with wrapped boxes. And she was gone.

Rhea shrugged, we can save 2% by not having the robot pickup. With 10 or more packages it is worth it, and it gives us a chance to talk. Now this is the part where you tell me to count the family silver. Here is the deal. She had a fairly big deal life, undergraduate degree in finance. Got married, she and hubby were junkies together, crystal meth. Marriage destroyed, lost everything, hubby OD'd, meth and opiate cocktail, no kids, she was living in her car, it was repossessed while she was using a public bathroom. Back in the day she went to your high school, 2 classes after you, that and drugs is why you don't recognize her. Her blockchain says she's been clean for 13 months, state pays for a drug test every other week for 5 more months. Amazingly, she still has her license. You hired me to find the diamonds in the rough, my money is on Anji. Anything else?

Wonk repeated the list, no block chain, no smart contracts no long term suppliers, tons of non-recyclable packing material, it is cheaper to manually drop off packages than have a robot pick them up and we have a druggie working with precious jewelry. Did I miss anything?

That about covers it, answered Rhea.

Carry on then, Wonk said, taking a page out of what he supposed was his father's playbook.

= = =
A month later Wonk pulled up to Bestow driving a 2006 Toyota Sienna van. Rhea looked up, so you are robbing car museums?

It's brand new, just out of Kanhe's but no self drive, no GPS, no built in cellular. It's not untrackable, but it isn't wearing a billboard either. Is Anji still working for you with a valid driver's license?

Yes, why?

I'd like to make jewelry delivery part of the business, replied Wonk.

That makes no sense, puzzled Rhea.

Sure it does, I have a couple prototypes right here, Wonk said handing a portable jewelry display case to Rhea.

They are 3D printed jewels. Nothing special, prototypes. Even so, I have put 4g in each bead. These are synthetic ruby, I don't quite have the temperature/pressure I need for diamonds. But corundum is pretty stable, so what they lack in capacity, hopefully they make up in stability.

As data storage devices I have no clue, said Rhea. As beads? They are beautiful. I've always wondered, how do you drill the 3rd hardest gem on earth?

Traveler has a friend, well an acquaintance, they call him laserman. He developed the drill for the fence posts. He's the brains behind the CNC for WTG tacticals. He built the drill we use for the rubies. The tricky part was building the crystals so that no data storage was destroyed when we drilled the hole, but that area was ready for I/O.

Couldn't grow them that way, teased Rhea.

I've got teams working on it. In any case, there is a business case to move massive amounts of blockchain data and not across the Internet, or even the sideband nets we are working on; too much data. So we store it and drive it, boat it, bike it, or walk it as needed. In ancient days we called it sneakernet and for a lot of reasons, I still like the term. And I would like to show Anji one of the routes.

- - -
Wonk and Anji set off on, Wonk explained this was her repository route.
What's that, she asked.
The name sounds important, the First In First Out, (FIFO) stuff is basic commerce, if there is room left, we pad the block with news and HNMNBie Library stuff, books, music, movies, how tos.

Where do they keep it, Anji found the concept interesting.

Usually just a few safes in a spare room bolted to the wall. Mechanical locks are strongly preferred, if an audit finds an electronic safe, penalty is 5 reruns of Electromagnetic Pulse by Grimes. Safes have a natural fire projection to some degree, some EMP shielding too.  Higher value data demands greater protection of course.

But that's not the route, I'm running, Anji said, don't worry I get it. Here's my story:

My husband and I both started using the pipe. Crystal meth helps you become supergirl in some sense of the word, you stay up for a couple days, but then boom you crash. We were both lucky enough to find good paying jobs that weren't looking for 9 to 5. He inherited a survey business from his dad. Ever notice that surveyors are always busy, then they show up, whoosh do the job, and then gone again, but you wait weeks for the report? That's the classic crackhead pattern. I was in sales, robotic pizza ovens, Napoli certified, they are all the rage. It involved a lot of travel, if you made the sale you oversaw the installation and turn on.

One day I got home from travel, heard a noise in the bedroom. Hubby was high, with a girl, clearly a junky, we can recognize one another in a flash, also high. He wasn't ashamed, asked if I wanted to watch, maybe join in. I had this huge urge, not to join them, but to take a hit off the pipe. You wintness something like that and you just want to get high, and you've got a very good reason to boot. But I didn't. Instead, I got sick to my stomach, grabbed some clean clothes and left. Found some friends that happened to just be going out. One of them was in late stage negotiations to buy a private self-drive, life had been pretty good to him.

So we traipsed all around Seattle. As we adventured, I realized I hadn't brought socks. I was dimly aware my feet hurt, but didn't realize the extent of the blistering. At one point, they were holed up in a restaurant waiting for the paperwork for the car. I grabbed a ride-share to a travel store to get socks, but it was too late, blisters on both feet. Medicated the spots, bought and put on silver coated travel socks, rejoined my friends. By then it was hurting bad, feet were on fire. One of my friends gave me a couple opiates for the pain, soon I wasn't feeling any.

Months later, I realized I had no house, no hubby, no money, no car, credit cut off. There was a Salvation Army shelter that provided a meal a day. Lived there for a week. Got a sponsor, attended meetings, got off drugs. Got a job at Bohemians, robots can take a lot of jobs, but the ones with cleavage and short skirts are still not really suited to being servers. Got pinched and patted a lot, comes with tip territory.  The managers looked the other way if you ate what the customers didn't touch. Graduated to a group home.

The crazy thing is, once you fall, you can't get back up again. I can't even get a daily wage. With tips you get nothing for sure, and the tips are supposed to make up for it. Then one day, I was walking down 43rd and this lady was trying to accept the packages from a robo, and it was more than she could carry, a couple dropped on the ground. I helped her out. Now I get a DW.

Wonk took it all in. Helping people, sharing the wealth was the Blue Circle model. Even though she hadn't come through Up and Out, somehow she had her second chance. Tall you what, he said, every time your drug test comes up clean, I'll put 2 DW in an escrow account. If you make it through the testing period clean it will be yours to spend.

Anji, had heard a lot of promises. Till then, can I sleep in the van?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A piece of the action

When silence doesn't mean consent

Prequel origin of the church of AI (2)