D Baader-Meinhof Done 1.9

= = = Everett, Washington
PRESENCE: Hey Wonk, Gizmo gave me a Presence node, is it working OK?
Yup, doing just fine for a mobile, great resolution and decent sound. How is Hawaii treating you?
Pretty good, they gave me a Jeep Wrangler, it blends in really well here, all of the rentals seem to be Jeeps or Mustangs. Really reminds me of a Carbanado. I never noticed them before, but it seems like there are only 3 kinds of cars here, Jeeps, Mustangs and the locals all have Toyota Tacomas. I think this is my first Baader-Meinhof.
Baader-Meinhof?
You have never noticed something, then you see it all the time. Anyway, thanks for being available to test my Presence node, that's why I called. You got anything for me?
Nothing of import, take care amigo. Out.
END PRESENCE.


Wonk was hungry so he jumped in his self drive for the robodeli on Bayside, (he was in his roast beef on rye phase). As his self-drive turned off Rucker, a van cut him off, ran so close the self-drive declared a FAIL and locked up the brakes. Wonk was in the pilot position, grabbed the wheel, but it seemed self-drive had done well, so he did not override. They managed to avoid a crash and as the van drove off he noticed the HE > I sticker on the rear glass of the van. That is the same sticker the reverend gave him to put on his transit. Hmmmm.

Over the course of the next few days, he noticed several cars that were not sharing the road with HE > I stickers. Baader-Meinhof be damned, he thought to himself. Wonk finally decided to grab a razor and scrape his sticker before someone ran him off the road for showing it.

Next trip to the House of Prayer he told his story to Reverend Slocom, who laughed and laughed.

What's so funny asked Wonk?

Well I never heard of Baader-Meihof, but I do understand what you mean. Never know it's there, and when you become aware of it you realize you have been surrounded by it all along. But I do have a bumper sticker story to share with you.

20 years ago, before my wife died, I was selected as a finalist in a black leadership essay contest. All the winners had to come and present and the panel of judges would select a grand poobah and that happened to be me and the prize was $36,000.00.

I was stoked, I was turning 60 in a year and everyone knows that when you are 60 you go through your mid-life crisis and the only cure for a mid-life crisis is a sports car. I got on a mailing list, would stop people with these cars and ask their opinions. I was leaning heavily towards the Honda S2000, but with I5 and all, I finally settled on a Z.

I bought it, drove it home, parked, stopped, turned around just to look at it, I declare Wonk, I am not sure if I have ever seen anything that pretty.

The next morning, I really didn't have anywhere to go, but I was going to take out the Z. As I walked around it to get in I noticed my wife had put a church bumper sticker on it.

Got in, started driving, got on I5, the acceleration rammed me back into my seat. Awesome! Looked in my rearview, noticed some jerk in a Corvette was trying to right side pass me. This was before self drive. I looked at my following distance, plan was to let him pull up just to my door, accelerate, close the gap, trap that rascal in the right lane. And then I remembered the church bumper sticker. What was I doing to the cause of Christ?

Awww Lord, come on .. ..
Awww, I'm sorry Lord

Slowed down, let him pass me, pull in front, waved, tried to smile, have a nice day, Jesus loves you, sigh.

Over the next week, I kept realizing I had gotten that car for all the wrong reasons. A week later I traded it to a building contractor for the kitchen remodel my wife had been asking for.

Wonk nodded, I think I understand, that you for sharing that story with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A piece of the action

When silence doesn't mean consent

Prequel origin of the church of AI (2)