The Karma of Unintended Consequences 1.10

Recycle? Buster said, it takes time to sort everything out to recycle, why don't I just take it all to the landfill? One and done.

Well for one thing, it costs money per kilogram to throw things in the landfill and that would be my company that gets that bill. For another, our landfill is starting to fill up, do you want its replacement to be in your back yard?

Its got years left, Jesus will be back for us before that happens Buster said knowingly.

Rhea was not swayed, recycle.

Buster shuffled out of the room, salt of the earth, flannel shirt, jeans and those boots, how do they stand those boots?

Traveler the tree hugger of the bunch was visibly shaken. Christians talk like that, believe that?

Reverend Slocom laughed, more than you can guess, what I am still trying to figure out is whether they somehow believe that filling up landfills will hasten the return of Christ Jesus. There is zero biblical support for that. And yet they live so destructively, throwing trash out of their cars, flushing drugs down toilets, voting for the politicians that have indebted all of our children, arresting the migrant workers that help our farmers pick fruit or process seafood. They aren't stupid, but at some point I would expect they would start to understand there is a consequence for their actions in the here and now.

As you sew, so shall you rip, said Rhea knowingly, working at her sewing machine.

Traveler and Slocom laughed. Er reap, the so called Christian Karma. But that is what is going on. Thousands of decisions. Some not so good or bad in and of itself, some shockingly spiteful. Added together, we are making a mess of things at a very fast rate.

Traveler nodded, when I went to see Skip, I ordered a resupply for my RV. The toilet paper was individually wrapped in plastic and the entire package was covered in plastic. Who thought of that?

Chase Slocomb nodded, the primary meaning of Jeremiah 2 is spiritual of course, but it is often wise to take the bible literally:

I brought you into a fertile land
to eat its fruit and rich produce.
But you came and defiled my land
and made my inheritance detestable.

When I went to Israel last, I was amazed at the Jordanian border. You can literally see the difference, the trees are bigger, greener, stronger, more productive on the Israel side. It wasn't always that way, when the first settlers came to Zion it was desert and scrub.

Traveler nodded, that reminds me, I heard from Father Lafitte. Another church, Saint Rafael, wants to join the project. seems their town floods multiple times a year and they just don't want to go through another big storm. We have plenty of carbon, most of it diverted from the Ronaldson Field landfill and needless to say tons of plastic waiting to be recycled.  I want to talk to Gizmo before I get back to him, but this is really encouraging.

Well, the two of you need to manage your business, but it will be interesting to see how a faith based community that is trying to live in harmony with God's creation fares. I'd bet a cup of coffee on the outcome, speaking of which, would either of you like a cup?

No, said Traveler and Rhea in unison.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A piece of the action

When silence doesn't mean consent

Prequel origin of the church of AI (2)