D Fortia's self drive done 1.10

PHONE: Wonk, my car is ready, you willing to give me a lift to Kanhe's to pick it up?
Sure Fortia, when should I swing by?
1500, I'm really excited.
END PHONE:

The state of Washington converted the HOV lane to HOV + EZPass + Self Drive. Ever since, there was a noticeable pushback when you are seen in a self-drive. Lincolns like Travelers got a bye, people assumed he had a professional driver. Wonk's transit slipped under the radar as well, people assumed he was making a delivery, which was usually true, though these days it was usually sneakerner. Nevertheless, aggravating the self drive and the people inside of it, was becoming a sport, one more evidence of a class divide.

HNMNBies generally avoid confrontation, and responded by doing remakes on older cars, everything from the Volkswagon Bus to the Shelby Cobra. Fortia's car was a 2018 Ford Mustang GT Venti Convertible, a classic.

Kanhe's, a reputable race car shop, rebuilt it as a self-drive with a modern powerplant. Sorry there were no James Bond Q enhancements, other than the paint. Fortia made it up especially for the car. The work order called it ruby-zoisite, depending on the light, it was either red or green and sometimes both. They had pulled it out of the shop, final detailing in the hands of 2 daily wage workers.

Wonk walked up, looked at it, blinked, looked again, turned his gaze on Fortia, she shrugged, I can't make up my mind.

Wonk slapped his self-drive on the back quarter and told it to go home. Why do you smack your car asked Fortia?
Watched too many Westerns growing up, Wonk replied, it's what they did with horses.
I fed an apple to a horse once, Fortia said, a touch wistfully and walked back to the main entrance of the shop.

Wonk watched her shake hands with the intense young man that seemed to be in charge of the autoshop, not a dw, maybe the owner, he and Fozia got in the car to head back. She was in the captain's seat, he could help notice her skirt ride up on her leg. The stang started with a purr, they pulled out of the lot onto the road, cover of a song was playing, "Hey now, hey now, my girlfriend's back."

I'm not sure the Ravonettes would approve, nevertheless that's a unique paint job you added to your ride, Wonk remarked. Is it designed to confuse witnesses in the event of an auto-accident?

Well don't miss the line, "My girlfriend's back, but you're not in trouble," I have something to share with you later. Per the paint, a necklace I bought at Bestow gave me the idea. You ought to stock more of them.

Funny, I talked to Rhea about that. She reminded me that we have finite shelf space and they are finding new stuff all the time. Bestow may be about giving a lady that special piece that is meant for her, but we also have to keep the cash register jingling. People look at ruby-zoisite and then buy rubies, sapphires, emeralds and so forth.

She's a good lady, such a sense of wisdom, I like her. The Dominitrix seems so out of character for her.

Yeah, said Wonk, I asked her about that once.
What did she say?

It's her kryptonite, her drug, her higher power, when she needed the money, was trying to keep the family afloat it gave her a reason, and excuse to unleash this gift of hers that perhaps is best kept under wraps, but in some sense it was her Nexus.

What, asked Fortia?

Nexus, Star Trek, Goldie Hawn, Guinan, "It was like being inside joy. As if joy was something tangible and you could wrap yourself up in it like a blanket."

I think I get it, but I am pretty sure that was Whoopie Goldberg. So, the line is, she is some kind of super influencer, but keeps it bottled up? Wonk, she is so much more. Look at her, she is beautiful, can you imagine when she was 16, every Greek fisherman young and ancient hitting on her? PhD, successful archeologist. Married for love, good mother, Guy didn't turn out half bad. There is more to Bestow than just a bunch of rocks, something she brings to the table. And dog trainer, she said with a barely noticeable sly smile, I don't know if you've noticed, but Bandi Boy is not your average German Shepard.

Wonk looked away, trying not to show emotion. He really liked this girl, but wasn't fully ready to share what he knew about Bandi. Fortia, do you ever feel like . . .

I can hear him? I'm not deaf either Wonk, but thank you for considering the possibility. She smiled, part boy, part man, part tycoon, not so bright though, hope he leaves some time to become Wonk.

For the next few minutes the self-drive wheeled on down the road, Fozia and Wonk were silence, in deep though. Finally Fortia piped in some music.

After a few minutes Wonk asked, what is it?


Driving music replied Fortia, Antti Martikainen, Lords of Iron. They call it Celtic Metal, but it sounds more like Celtic run over by Switched on Bach to me, but if you ever get tired of Radar Love, this is an incredible track to play driving through a mountain pass.

Say, do you have plans for tonight?

I don't think so.
Why don't you come with me to the airport? In fact, do you think we can take one of your friend's Lincolns, we will need more space than the transit or mustang?

OK, I'm sure he won't mind. What's up?

Now, now, a girl has to have some secrets.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A piece of the action

When silence doesn't mean consent

Prequel origin of the church of AI (2)